SOURCES OF REVIEWS
OneSearch, which searches most of the library's major databases at one time, is your best source for music reviews.
- Go to Advanced Search.
- Search for the Composer / Performer / Name of work / Type of work, etc. as a key word.
- Add "reviews or opinion or criticism" as a subject search.
This will find all kinds of reviews. If you wish to limit to a particular type of review, add the appropriate term.
Examples by Composer:
- Mozart and reviews
- Mozart and sound recordings and reviews
- Mozart and book reviews
- Mozart and music and reviews
- Mozart and piano music and reviews
- Mozart and orchestral music and reviews
- Mozart and opera and reviews
Examples by Composition:
- Cosi fan tutte and reviews
- Cosi fan tutte and sound recordings and reviews
- Cossi fan tutte and video recording and reiviews
- Cosi fan tutte and opera and reviews
- Cosi fan tutte and theater and reviews
- Cosi fan tutte and concert and reviews
Examples by Performer
- Maria Callas - reviews
- Arthur Rubinstein - review
Examples by Types of Performer
- Singers and reviews
- Opera singers and reviews
- Folk singers and reviews
- Pianists and reviews
Examples by Types of Reviews
- Book review
- Theater reviews
- Motion picture reviews
- Film review
- Entertainment review
- Sound recording reviews
- Music review
- Television review
- Video reviews
- Concert reviews
Due to the large number of possibilities, it is better to look first for reviews and then limit as needed.
Since OneSearch searches many databases - each with their own controlled vocabulary - substituting various terms may retrieve results missed in the first search.
Alternative terms to "reviews" include:
- Criticism and Interpretation
Once you have identified a review, you can
- Read it online if available in Full Text
- Read it in house if available in paper or microfiche
- Order it through Interlibrary Loan