Information Overload? The Contemporary World Issues Reference Handbook series is a great gateway through which to begin your research.
The library has a large collection of this series online and in print. You can access the online versions either through the Library Catalog or through Credo Reference.
• Thematic essay and topical entry formats
• Extensive resources for further research
• Coverage of critical issues facing America and the world
• Exhaustive introductory essay
• Chronology of key events, movements, and legislation
• Biographies of important individuals
• Directory of important private organizations and government agencies
• Annotated guide to print and nonprint resources
• Extensive statistical resources in tabular and graph form